Applications now closed for this position:
The North American Congress on Latin America (NACLA) is looking for a summer intern!
Are you interested in and knowledgeable about Latin America, social justice movements, politics and history?
If so, this is a great experience for an undergraduate student or recent grad to gain hands-on experience working for a unique publication as we celebrate our 50th year in print. NACLA is an independent, nonprofit organization founded in 1966 that works toward a world in which the nations and peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean are free from oppression and injustice, and enjoy a relationship with the United States based on mutual respect, free from economic and political subordination. To that end, our mission is to provide information and analysis on the region, and on its complex and changing relationship with the United States, as tools for education and advocacy—to foster knowledge beyond borders.
The internship will be part-time (10- 15 hours/week) and take place from approximately June 1- September 1, 2018. Dates are flexible!
NACLA is a very small organization, and our staff-members wear many hats. The internship position will combine editorial and administrative duties, as well as some event coordination and outreach, and will report to NACLA’s Managing Editor. These tasks include:
- Helping to edit and post articles for our website, nacla.org.
- Helping with production of our print magazine, including fact-checking and photo research for the fall and winter issues of the NACLA Report
- Helping with social media
- Other administrative tasks as needed, including event research and outreach
You will be trained in each of these tasks.
- Must be available to come to our office in Manhattan at least one day a week (some work can be done remotely) during normal business hours
- Flexible, adaptable, self-starter who takes initiative
- Strong writing and grammar skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of and interest in current political situations in Latin America
- Able to juggle a number of tasks
- Journalism or media experience
- Social media or web experience
- Ability to translate from Spanish to English and/or Portuguese to English
This is not a paid position. Past interns have supplemented the position with other part-time work, and we can arrange for college credit. Past interns have gone on to hold staff positions at NACLA.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume outlining your experience and why you would make a good fit for NACLA to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you by April 15, 2018.