Are you interested in and knowledgeable about Latin America, social justice movements, politics and history? If so, apply for the North American Congress on Latin America (NACLA) Spring Internship!
This is a great experience for an undergraduate student or recent grad to gain hands-on experience working for a unique publication as we celebrate our 50th year in print.
NACLA is an independent, nonprofit organization founded in 1966 that works toward a world in which the nations and peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean are free from oppression and injustice, and enjoy a relationship with the United States based on mutual respect and freedom from economic and political subordination. Our mission is to provide information and analysis on the region—and its complex and changing relationship with the United States—as tools for education and advocacy to foster knowledge beyond borders.
The internship will be part-time (5 hours/week) and take place from approximately January 15 - May 15, 2020. Dates are flexible!
NACLA is a very small organization, and our staff members wear many hats. The internship position will combine editorial and administrative duties, as well as some event coordination and outreach, and will report to NACLA’s Managing Editor. These tasks include:
- Assisting with fact-checking, photo research, and proofreading for our Spring issue of the NACLA Report
- Assisting with social media
- Completing other administrative tasks as needed, including event staffing and general outreach
You will be trained in each of these tasks.
- Must be available to come to the office at least one day a week (some work can be done remotely) during normal business hours (New York City-area based preferred)
- Flexible, adaptable, self-starter who takes initiative
- Strong writing and grammar skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of and interest in current political situations in Latin America
- Able to juggle a number of tasks
- Journalism or media experience
- Social media or web experience
- Ability to translate from Spanish to English and/or Portuguese to English
Interns will be paid $15/hour. Past interns have supplemented the position with other part-time work, and some have also gone on to hold staff positions at NACLA. We can help arrange for college credit if needed.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume outlining your experience and why you would make a good fit for NACLA to email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you by December 13, 2019.