Are you interested in and knowledgeable about Latin America, social justice movements, politics and history? If so, The North American Congress on Latin America (NACLA) is looking for a summer intern!
This is a great experience for an undergraduate student or recent grad to gain hands-on experience working for a unique publication as we celebrate our 50th year in print. NACLA is an independent, nonprofit organization founded in 1966 that works toward a world in which the nations and peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean are free from oppression and injustice, and enjoy a relationship with the United States based on mutual respect, free from economic and political subordination. To that end, our mission is to provide information and analysis on the region, and on its complex and changing relationship with the United States, as tools for education and advocacy—to foster knowledge beyond borders.
The internship will be part-time (10- 15 hours/week) and take place from approximately June 1- September 1, 2019. Dates are flexible!
NACLA is a very small organization, and our staff-members wear many hats. The internship position will combine editorial and administrative duties, as well as some event coordination and outreach, and will report to NACLA’s Managing Editor. These tasks include:
- Helping to copy-edit and post articles for our website, nacla.org.
- Helping with fact-checking, photo research, and proofreading for the fall and winter issues of the NACLA Report
- Helping with social media
- Other administrative tasks as needed, including event staffing.
You will be trained in each of these tasks.
- Must be available to come to the office at least one day a week (some work can be done remotely) during normal business hours (New York City-area based preferred)
- Flexible, adaptable, self-starter who takes initiative
- Strong writing and grammar skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of and interest in current political situations in Latin America
- Able to juggle a number of tasks
- Journalism or media experience
- Social media or web experience
- Ability to translate from Spanish to English and/or Portuguese to English
Interns will be paid $15/hour. Past interns have supplemented the position with other part-time work, and we can arrange for college credit, and have also gone on to hold staff positions at NACLA.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume outlining your experience and why you would make a good fit for NACLA to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you by May 12, 2019.
Applications for summer 2019 are now closed.