|The North American Congress on Latin America (NACLA) seeks a full-time Co-Editor to produce our bimonthly magazine on Latin American politics and U.S. relations with the region, NACLA Report on the Americas. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in magazine journalism as well as Latin American studies. Working together with a co-editor in our New York office, the candidate will perform the following tasks:
* Planning, in consultation with an Editorial Committee, a years worth of thematically focused issues
* Assigning and editing all sections of the magazine
* Collaborating with the other co-editor on copyediting, fact-checking, and proofreading all sections of the magazine
* Photo and illustration editing, caption writing
* Maintaining an editorial internship program (at least one intern per semester)
* Collecting author contracts and performing post-publication duties, including uploading each issue to our website, handling contributor payments and thank-you letters, and maintaining general author communications
* Planning events in the New York area to promote the magazine, such as author lectures or media appearances
Salary: $35,000. Full health and dental coverage. Start date: Immediately. Minimum one-year commitment.
* Copyediting experience, preferably with The Chicago Manual of Style
* Solid research skills and familiarity with fact-checking
* Excellent written English
* Knowledge of Latin American politics and history, as well as U.S. policy toward the region
* Familiarity with Macintosh computers and the editing tools in Microsoft Word
* Compatibility with the goals and perspective of NACLA
* Fluency in Spanish
* Academic training in Latin American studies
* Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
* Knowledge of HTML and online content-management systems
How to apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (published or otherwise) to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Deadline: Friday, August 26, 2011. Women, people of color, LGBTQI, and people of various physical abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Your subscription is vital to our work. Support NACLA today by subscribing to the award-winning NACLA Report.
NACLA Needs Your Support!
Visit the NACLA Store to purchase back issues of the Report, books, and more.
To unsubscribe please reply to this e-mail with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.