What: De- or Re-Militarization in Colombia? Prospects in the Post-peace Accords Context, a webinar cosponsored by NACLA, FOR Peace Presence, and American Friends Service Committee (AFSC)
When: Friday, April 1, 1:30 - 3:00 PM EST
Where: Anywhere! Join the conversation on WebEx. Instructions below.
Will the end of the armed conflict mean peace for Colombia? Join our upcoming webinar De- or Re-Militarization in Colombia? Prospects in the Post-peace Accords Context on April 1st at 1:30pm to explore the future of the military and militarization in Colombia.
The peace negotiations in Colombia are likely to be finalized in the coming months. This is an exciting step forward for a country that has lived with over 50 years of armed conflict. Nevertheless, the work of creating long-term, sustainable peace is far from over. Currently, Colombia has no plans to decrease the size of the army or its budget, Colombia's military expertise is being outsourced to other countries, and obligatory military service for Colombia's youth will continue.
In this special 1.5 hour webinar direct from Colombia, learn from long-time scholars and activists about the challenges and prospects for ending not only war, but the militarization that makes it possible. Sponsored by FOR Peace Presence, North American Congress on Latin America (NACLA), and American Friends Service Committee (AFSC). There is no charge for this webinar, but we welcome your support for human rights work in Colombia.
· Arlene Tickner, professor of international relations in the Political Science Department at Universidad of the Andes, has researched the issue of Colombian training of security personnel in third countries.
· Nicolas Rodriguez, part of the Association of Colombian Conscientious Objectors (ACOOC) and the Collective of Investigation La Tulpa, analyzes and organizes with youth against Colombian militiary conscription.
· John Lindsay Poland, AFSC coordinator of Wage Peace in San Francisco and FOR Peace Presence Advisor, researches and writes about U.S. militarism in the Americas.
Don't miss this great opportunity to understand the future of peace in Colombia! Here's how to participate:
1. Setting-up WebEx meeting for the first time: If you have never joined a WebEx meeting before on the computer you'll be using for the meeting, please install the WebEx software ahead of time.
*You can start by clicking this link and following any prompts you get; simply click "yes" (or "allow" or "run") to any prompts you are given. When you are able to join the test meeting, you have installed the necessary software.
*If possible, use computer audio and a headset to join the audio conference.
*Here's a remote connection guide
2. On the day of the webinar (Friday, April 1, 2016 at 1:30pm Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00)) after having WebEX Meeting set-up on the computer you'll be using for the meeting:
*Please click the following link on the day of the webinar:
Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number: 731 234 568
Meeting password: afsc
Note: Use computer audio if possible; only join by phone if necessary.
+1-415-655-0001 US TOLL
Access code: 731 234 568
If you have any questions about the webinar or about signing up for the webinar, please email our FOR Peace Presence Bogota Team!